Hunter Apprenticeship Safety Program
The Hunter Apprenticeship Safety Program is designed to enhance the existing Hunter Education Program by allowing individuals the opportunity to safely develop their hunting skills while under the direct and immediate supervision of a qualified Mentor. Any Ontario resident who is 12 years of age or older and who has successfully completed the Ontario Hunter Education Course (OHEC) and exam is eligible to participate. The Hunter Apprenticeship Safety Program is mandatory for qualified participants under the age of 15 but is optional for new hunters who are 15 years of age or over.
Hunter safety is an integral component of this program and the following conditions apply to participants of the Hunter Apprenticeship Safety Program:
- Apprentice must be a resident of Ontario.
- Written parental permission is required if the Apprentice is 12 to 15 years of age.
- Apprentice must successfully complete the Ontario Hunter Education Course (OHEC) and pass the examination. To receive an A1 class Outdoors Card the Apprentice must also complete and pass the Canadian Firearms Safety Course and Examination.
- Apprentice must carry a Hunter Apprenticeship Safety Card while hunting.
- Apprentice, while hunting, must be under the direct and immediate supervision of a hunter (Mentor) who is 18 years of age or older and the mentor must hold a valid Outdoors Card (with a class equal to or higher than their class of Outdoor Card) and licence to hunt the species of game being hunted.
- Apprentice must share a single firearm (gun, bow or crossbow) with the Mentor.
- If the species of game being hunted is a migratory game bird, the Apprentice must be the holder of a Migratory Game Bird Hunting Permit.
- Any game (except for migratory birds) taken by the Apprentice must be included in the bag limit of the Mentor.
- Apprenticeship is valid for up to three years and is not renewable.
- Mentor is responsible to ensure that the Apprentice complies with the regulations while hunting under the Mentor’s supervision.
- Consent form to take course [ English || Français ]
- Application for Apprenticeship Card [ English || Français ]
- Class A1/A2 Hunter Apprenticeship Safety Card